File version: 220.127.116.11 R4
Requirements: Mac OS X 10.10 - 10.13 (High Sierra Compatible)
Mac Screenwriter 6.5 Serial numbers begin with MMSW-
NOTE: Mac Screenwriter 6.5 requires a paid upgrade from 6.0* and uses a completely different serial number that begins with MMSW and uses a different activation account that must be created on activation. (*Free to those who purchased the software on or after January 1, 2017; some exceptions and restriction may apply.)
This download will install Mac Screenwriter 6.5 as a new installation or update an existing 6.5 installations as an update (this will not affect any of your documents).
- Click here for the 6.5 release notes.
- Click here to see summary of supplemental changes since the 6.5 release.
SCREENWRITER 6.0: If you have Mac OS 10.9 or earlier, you should use Screenwriter 6, whose serial numbers begin with SCW0600. Click here to download Mac Screenwriter 18.104.22.168.Installation Instructions
- First, quit out of Screenwriter completely if you have not done so already by clicking Screenwriter > Quit Screenwriter.
- Click on the CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL link above on this page.
- Once you click on the link, you MAY get a small window that lets you choose either to Open the compressed file (e.g. Screenwriter22.214.171.124-release4.dmg.zip) using an Archive Utility (recommended), or select Save File to save the compressed in your Downloads folder .
- The file is large and can take a while to download. You can check the progress by using your browser's download status option. This example screenshot is from Firefox:
- Once the download is done:
- If you choose to open the file, the uncompressed DMG file (e.g. Screenwriter 126.96.36.199 release 3.dmg) will be located in your Downloads folder.
- If you chose to save the file, you can find the Screenwriter188.8.131.52-release4.dmg.zip file in your Downloads folder (or wherever you downloaded the file).
- Open the Downloads folder using the Finder.
- Double-click on the Screenwriter184.108.40.206-release4.dmg.zip file to un-compress the file.
- Double-click on the DMG file (e.g. Screenwriter 220.127.116.11 release 4.dmg) to mount it on the desktop.
- The DMG will open and you should see a Screenwriter installer volume (window) that looks like this:
- Inside of that volume, double-click on the Install Movie Magic Screenwriter... icon.
- A small message will be displayed:
NOTE: For some users, the installer seems to get stuck at this point. If this happens to you, follow the directions in this FAQ: Fixing a Macintosh .pkg that gets stuck in the 'verifying" stage...
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the install.
- When prompted for a password during installation, enter the password you use to log into your Mac computer:
- Press the Install Software button.
- Once the installer is completed, you should get the Installation was Successful screen:
- Click on the Close button.
- The next step is to ACTIVATE your software.
- In the Finder, open your Applications folder. Within the Applications folder there should be a Screenwriter 6.5 folder. Open the Screenwriter 6.5 folder.
- Double-click on the Activate & Register Screenwriter app to begin the activation process.
- The first thing you're asked for is a serial number. Screenwriter 6.5 serial numbers all begin with "MMSW":
- Your next step is to choose your registration type. If this is your first Screenwriter 6.5 serial number registration, which is MOST LIKELY, choose the first option and press Next:
If you have already registered one or more and would like to manage the serial numbers together, choose the second option.
- For the first option, you'll need to create a new account. (For the second option, log into your existing account.)
- When completed, press Next. Fill in the optional information, and press Next.
- Enter your computer name, such as Chris' MacBook Pro, or Desktop iMac, etc. Make unique enough so if you activate more than one Mac you can tell which one is which.
- Press next and your computer will be activated:
- You will get a confirmation screen when you have a successful activation. Click on Finish.
- Screenwriter 6.5 will open and you're all set to go.
In some cases the installer may ask you to click the "Upgrade" button to install. In these cases, go ahead and click "Upgrade" to complete installation. Once the installation is complete, you can locate the program in the /Applications/Screenwriter 6.5 folder on your hard drive.
The first time you install and launch Screenwriter 6.5, you will be asked to create a NEW registration account, which will be the primary email for contacting you. You will also create a password.
Unlike with our previous license management, you can "reclaim" installs at any time using an account management screen that you can access from Screenwriter's HELP > Activations and Registration command. This command will also ask you for the same email and password for the registration account. See the document "New Features, Enhancements, and Bug Fixes.pdf" for details on this easy-to-use feature.
NOTE: Mac Screenwriter 6.5 uses a different license management system and serial number than Screenwriter 6. Installing Screenwriter 6.5 does not remove any Screenwriter 6 version, though it is recommended that you uninstall version 6 after successfully installing version 6.5. This will not affect your documents.
YOU SHOULD DELETE THE OLD SCREENWRITER 6 FOLDER:
ADDITIONAL NOTE: When you install, the software will be placed in a separate folder, "Screenwriter 6.5". If you have the older Screenwriter 6, you can keep your old Screenwriter 6 installed, however, it may be confusing if you accidentally start the older Screenwriter 6 by double-clicking on your existing script files. Be sure to update the application alias in your Dock (if you have one) to point to the new program.
The folder for the OLD Screenwriter 6 is /Applications/Screenwriter 6. This folder will not contain any of your screenplays -- those would typically be in your Documents folder.
TAG: Download Movie Magic Screenwriter 6.5