Why do so many in Hollywood recommend Movie Magic® Screenwriter™ 6?
For over 30 years, Write Brothers® has created the best writing software for stage and screen.
- It's easy to learn. You'll be writing your first script in under 10 minutes.
- It's easy to use. All you need is the Tab button and the Enter (PC) or Return (Mac) key.
- It's professional and powerful. With the newest production tools in Movie Magic Screenwriter 6, you'll wonder how anybody ever made movies before.
- Free technical support. Free Phone Support. Free Web Support. Free E-Mail Support. For as long as you use Movie Magic Screenwriter.
Need some more reasons to buy Movie Magic® Screenwriter™ 6?
- We are the only company to win an Academy Technical Achievement Award for screenwriting software.
- Movie Magic Screenwriter 6 is a preferred file format of WGA, West.
WHAT'S NEW IN MOVIE MAGIC® SCREENWRITER™ 6?
Over 100 templates and tools to help you brainstorm, outline, write, and rewrite your story or script.
- 8 Instructional templates (including stageplay, screenplay, sitcom structure, and classic film structure).
- 10 industry-standard Blank templates to help you format your screenplay, TV show, stage play, radio play, radio show, or even a comic book.
- 12 Sample files from the pros including 2 new sample files (comic story arc & radio play) and 2 updated sample files (screenplay and stage play).
- Over 86 TV templates including your classic favorites and 25 brand new ones.
- Fully editable Index Card view so you can jot down story notes and ideas for your screenplay.
Updated tools optimized for the latest versions of Windows and Mac OS X
- Complete American English thesaurus, and updated spell check dictionaries for American English, British English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian.
- Import Text Feature lets you import screenplays already written in Microsoft Word or any other word processor.
- Text-to-Speech engines let you "hear" your character's voice through your computer speakers.
- Export or e-mail your script into many other formats (including PDFs) so others can read your screenplay.
- Never worry about losing your files with Auto Backup installed.
- iPartner™ online collaboration lets you write online with a writing partner thousands of miles away.
- Complete integration with Dramatica and StoryView.
Newest Production Features ensure your script is always Hollywood ready
- Easily track all revisions from spec to final shoot script.
- Full production tracking reports for film, TV, and animation.
- Full production breakdown reports with industry standard colors.
- Integrated script tagging for export into Movie Magic Scheduling & others
- Generate set lists and rundown sheets.
- Official formatting software of Writers Guild of America, East and preferred file format of WGA, West
And the breakthrough new feature, NaviDoc™ technology
- Create a Script Outline with Acts, Sequences, Scenes, and more.
- Create your own outline to follow the style of your script or screenplay.
- Add Notes throughout your Script for later rewrites or production needs.
- Completely customize the NaviDoc according to your needs. Simple but so powerful.
Movie Magic® Screenwriter™'s Competitive Edge
- The NaviDoc™: The NaviDoc™ lets you navigate through your document by using four different methods: Outline, Scenes, Notes, and Bookmarks. The NaviDoc lets you see as many lines of an element as you want, not just the first line or scene heading of a scene for example. This gives you the option to use the NaviDoc like index cards if they prefer, while still viewing the script.
- Full-featured Outlining: Screenwriter's outlining feature is completely customizable, including font and color controls. You can create multi-depth outlines and customize them on the fly. You may show or hide the outline elements in the NaviDoc and/or the document, show or hide outline types by group or individual topics. You can MOVE sections of your document using the Outline NaviDoc tab using Drag 'n Drop.
- Notes: Screenwriter lets you show or hide notes directly within the document. To see Final Draft notes you must click on an icon first, but the note disappears the moment you begin typing, which minimizes the value of having notes in place in the document. Notes may be printed in place, separately, or on the facing page of the script.
- Note Categories: Screenwriter lets you create multiple note categories, each with its on text and background color. This allows writers to create different types of notes for different purposes. This also allows a reader or consultant to create their own note type, e.g. Chris' Rewrite Suggestions, and then drop them directly in place in the script for the author to review later.
- Customizable Document Windows: Though Screenwriter has LOTS of tools available for writers to use, the view is completely designable. The document view can be anything from a blank window without any icons or rulers all the way to having a full set of toolbars, icons, and other tools designed to make a writer's life easier.
- The MOST Complete Production Script Feature Set: Screenwriter was designed originally by a working script supervisor and has the most comprehensive and flexible set of features available in any script word processor, for both film and television. These include tagging, kept pages and scenes, breakdown sheets, revision controls, production lists, one-liners, and more. PLUS, these features are built in to the software itself.
- The Best Import Feature: Screenwriter has the most smartest and most flexible import feature of any screenwriting program. Not only does it support many different import (and export) formats, you can copy a file from another word processing program — even a PDF — and paste it into Screenwriter. Screenwriter will format it properly automatically.
- Ease of Use: Screenwriter is simple, straight-forward, and lacks some of the annoying stylist design issues. For example, Final Draft always assumes dialog is between the same two characters. Screenwriter let's you do the same thing by pressing SHIFT-TAB instead of the default TAB for character names.
- Works Well With Others: Screenwriter works will with Dramatica Pro and Outline 4D to make a powerful suite of writing software.
- Write Brothers® Technical Support: The absolute best support in the biz — and it is FREE.
Click on each thumbnail for a larger screenshot view.
Nothing Could be Easier
Just hit the "Tab" and "Enter" keys to move between different script elements such as Character, Dialogue, Action, etc. That's all you need to know! Since Screenwriter is instantly and automatically handling all the hassles of Industry Standard Formatting, you can focus on writing your story as fast as you can get your thoughts onto the screen!.
Just Screenwriter 6's new outline feature lets you outline levels up to thirty levels deep. Now it's easier than ever to block in your ideas wherever you want in the document. Take advantage of Screenwriters instructional templates, such as the one for classic film structure, and see for yourself how useful this feature can be for your writing.
Move through your Script with the Click of a Button
Instantly find and jump to any scene in your script with NaviDoc Scenes panel. The Scenes panel lets you sort the scenes by different criteria without affecting the document. It also can show you as many lines of a scene as you want: from one to everything! This helps to quickly identify the scene you are searching for.
Your Personal Typing Assistant
Type just a few letters of the desired character name, set, scene, etc., and Screenwriter will enter it instantly. Screenwriter's intelligent interface that can virtually read your mind, and pop up menus with the text items you want, without your even needing to tell it you want them.
Better Than Post-its®
Jot down revision notes, casting suggestions, and research questions quicker than you can slap on a Post-it. The new NaviDoc Note panel feature allows you to quickly organize, access, view and print your script notes. You can hide or show your notes, and print them separately in a report with page-number references. You may even create dozens of different, color-coded note categories.
Brainstorm and Organize Your Ideas
Do you prefer to work with index cards? Screenwriter's built-in index card system lets you edit your screenplay and rearrange scenes on fully editable index cards-on-screen! As you develop a new story, you'll be able to quickly write desired scenes, sequences, and plot points on blank index cards and easily shuffle the scenes as the plot and story are fleshed out. Screenwriter even reformats and re-numbers your scenes for you!
A Full-Featured Word Processor
Screenwriter is a full-featured word processor which includes dictionary (110,000+ words), thesaurus (80,000 word links), Real-Time Spell Checking with Auto-Typo Correction for basic letter inversion corrections, and full support of foreign characters. 10 levels of Undo/ Redo assures that none of your changes are ever final!
A Cast of Performers at your Side
Have a live script reading performed right on your computer with Screenwriter's Text to Speech! Assign different male and female voices to your different characters to hear a whole new perspective on your script.
Are you an actor who wants to practice your lines?
Simply turn off the voice for your character and the program will automatically pause for your dialogue, letting you play along with the program, practicing with cues and all!
A Virtual Proofreader
Screenwriter's SmartCheck scans your entire script looking for and correcting common formatting errors. You'll never again have to reprint your script to fix errors like extra blank lines or characters who you inadvertently left speaking twice in a row. Go to print and it scans the script, instantly zeroing in on the most common typing & editing errors. It points them out to you (optionally even automatically fixing them!) saving you from wasting paper and hours of your time reprinting pages.
Don't Let Your Old Work Go To Waste
Screenwriter can import and export almost any text document (e.g. RTF, MS Word, Word Perfect, ASCII), as well as scripts written with most other screenwriting programs. And since Screenwriter imports using context recognition, imported scripts are much more accurate than with other script writing software programs
No Writer is an Island
With iPartner Internet Collaboration, Screenwriter allows you and a partner to collaborate on a script live over the Internet. iPartner lets either one of you watch over your partner's shoulder as they compose and edit, allowing the viewing partner to see all the edits and additions as they are made just as if you were in the same room.
Real-time text and voice chat lets you break the distance barrier, without the long distance phone changes! (Click here to listen to ZDNet Radio's story on Screenwriter's iPartner feature.)
What's in a Name?
Your characters are unique, and their names should be too. Create countless unique character names from NameBank's huge database of male, female, and last names.
Do you like a typing environment clear of clutter and distractions? Screenwriter 6 lets you customize the look and feel to fit your desires. You can even turn off all Screenwriter's buttons and toolbars to give you a beautiful blank page.
Over 85 Free Templates
Movie Magic's new and improved Television Templates are formatted with the correct margins, script styles, act breaks, set lists and character lists for easy 1-key entry, and even include sample text. Get over 85 of the most popular sitcoms, soaps, and episodic dramas, including: Alias; All of Us; Battle Star Galactica; The Bernie Mac Show; Boston Legal; Cold Case; Crossing Jordan; Days of Our Lives; Desperate Housewives; Drawn Together; Entourage; Ghost Whisperer; Heroes; House; How I Met Your Mother; Joan of Arcadia; King of the Hill; Malcolm in the Middle; Monk; The OC; The Office; The Unit; Without a Trace, and many, many more!
Ready for the World
Ready to show your script to the world? Screenwriter allows you to save your script in web browser (HTML) and Adobe Acrobat (PDF) formats so anyone with a computer can read your script. You can even publish your script directly to your web site, or to any site on the Web!
Foreign Spellcheck Dictionaries
Danish · Dutch · French · German · Italian · Norwegian · Spanish · Swedish · UK English
I’ve tried most of the competing programs, and found Movie Magic Screenwriter to be far and away the best and most intuitive of the bunch. It’s straightforward enough that a new user can start writing perfectly formatted screenplays within moments of installing it. And it has powerful outlining and production features for those who need them. A perfect program, I will not write without it.
Evan Katz Exec Producer, 24 and JAG
Writing for 24 is hard enough. Thank God we've got Movie Magic Screenwriter 6 that let's us get our ideas down with maximum ease.
Manny Coto Executive Producer, 24, Enterprise and The Outer Limits
I've used Movie Magic Screenwriter for many years. Nothing is as simple, powerful, intuitive and versatile. And the support is outstanding.
Paul Haggis, Writer, Director, Letters from Iwo Jima, Flags of Our Fathers, Crash (Best Picture & Best Original Screenplay 2005), Million Dollar Baby (Best Picture 2004)
Movie Magic Screenwriter is the gold standard throughout the Hollywood studio system.... Superior program for addressing the challenges of production rewrites. There is no better screenwriting software on the market.
Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio, Writers, Pirates of the Caribbean 1, 2, & 3, Shrek, Aladdin, Mask of Zorro
I was the typewriter machine kind of guy and for several years I refused to switch to a computer. I thought it was going to be difficult and messy. But lot of friends finally convinced me. I bought my computer and: it was impossible to write a decent screenplay. I was always fighting the keyboard, with bad results, until someone recommended Movie Magic Screenwriter to me. Bingo! Suddenly everything became easy and professional and clean and...perfect. Movie Magic Screenwriter allowed me to concentrate on my writing, not on the keyboard. Now, all of my friends have switched to Movie Magic Screenwriter and we are very, very happy with it.
Guillermo Arriaga, Writer, Babel, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, 21 Grams, Amores Perros
Movie Magic Screenwriter is the most intuitive and flexible screenwriting software on the market today.
Michael Goldenberg, Writer/ Director, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Contact, Bed Of Roses
If you're a filmmaker or a screenwriter and you're not infusing Movie Magic Screenwriter 6 into your work; you are spending an abundance of energy without any creative payoff. This software is hands down one of the most powerful production tools we've evaluated. And the good news? It's incredibly user-friendly and far easier to use and navigate than a number of programs on the market. Screenwriter 6.0 includes a new outlining feature that it is fully customizable. So no matter what story Paradigm you use; Dramatica, Three Act Paradigm, Hero’s Journey, etc., you can outline that way in Screenwriter. Movie Magic Screenwriter 6 is more than just a sound investment; it's an extraordinary tool for writers and those of us who merely dabble in our own personal projects.
John Mundazio, UPBEAT Entertainment News Syndicate
- Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8/8.1, or 10
- 100 MB of Hard Disk Space
- Intel Native (Universal Binary)
- Power PC or higher
- OS X 10.7 - 10.11
- 200 MB of Hard Disk Space